Javascript Menu by
The Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyors

To Register as a New Brunswick Land Surveyor

Persons who wish to become registered as an NBLS must comply with the requirements as specified in the Association Act (the New Brunswick Land Surveyors Act, 1986) & By-Laws. These requirements have been compiled into the Surveyor-In-Training Manual (currently being revised), which is available in hard copy from the Association office. The review and examination of prospective members is under the direction of the Association's Board of Examiners.

The general requirements to become an NBLS are outlined in the Association Act:

    15(1) Any applicant for registration who

  1. is a Canadian citizen.
  2. has met the necessary educational requirements prescribed in the by-laws,
  3. has fulfilled the requirements of surveyor-in-training as prescribed in the by-laws,
  4. provides satisfactory evidence of good character, and pays the prescribed fees,

    may be registered as a land surveyor.

The Association By-Laws provide more specific details on these requirements, in two main themes, as follows:

    2.3.1 a) In order to become eligible to become a land surveyor in New Brunswick, a candidate must first possess a Certificate of Completion, which is issued by the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS). A certificate of Completion of Academic Requirements for Professional Surveyors is issued upon proof to CBEPS of sufficient academic qualifications, by successful completion of examinations set by the CBEPS or by a combination of academic qualifications and completion of certain CBEPS examinations.

    2.3.1 b) The educational requirements for registration as a surveyor-in-training may be satisfied by

      i) successful admission as a CBEPS candidate, or

      ii) enrolment in the Cadastral Surveying Option at the Department of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering at the University of New Brunswick, at an academic level to the satisfaction of the Board of Examiners. Candidates must receive a certificate of completion from CBEPS prior to undertaking the Legal Survey Technical Project.

    The Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors (CBEPS) establishes, assesses and certifies the academic qualifications of individuals who apply to become land surveyors and/or geomatics professionals in Canada, except for Quebec. Details about becoming a candidate with CBEPS may be obtained through the website: These academic requirements may be met by writing examinations in the syllabus items as set by CBEPS, by taking the equivalent courses at a university, or by a combination of both. Alternatively, the current CBEPS Syllabus requirements may be met by completing the Cadastral Surveying Option under the BScE in Geomatics Engineering as offered by the Department of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering at the University of New Brunswick. Upon successful fulfillment of its requirements, CBEPS issues a Certificate of Completion to the candidate.

    With a certificate from CBEPS, an applicant may then apply to the Association (ANBLS) Board of Examiners to become a Surveyor-In-Training. The Board will review the material supplied by the applicant, and if acceptable, make a recommendation to the Executive Council that the applicant be registered as an SIT.

    The second theme in the requirements for registration as a Land Surveyor, specified in the Association By-Laws, involves the practical experience and technical examinations required of an SIT, as follows:

      2.3.2 For registration as a land surveyor member the surveyor-in-training shall, within four years of the date of registration as a surveyor-in-training complete:

        a) a program of surveying experience of not less than two years acceptable to the Executive Council. Relevant surveying experience prior to registration as a surveyor-in-training may be accepted subject to the discretion of the Board of Examiners, and

        (b) examinations in Statute Law of New Brunswick, Survey Law in New Brunswick and a Legal Survey Technical Project approved by the Board of Examiners.

    These requirements are further spelled out in the Surveyor-In-Training Manual. Please contact the Board Secretary at the Association office for further details.


    The Association also recognizes persons who are registered as Land Surveyors in other jurisdictions, both from within and outside Canada. How these applicants are considered depends on their educational and career background and the jurisdiction in which they are registered.

      A. Applicants from within Canada

      A Land Surveyor from any jurisdiction in Canada may apply for registration with the ANBLS. The application will be reviewed by following the provisions of the recently signed Labour Mobility Agreement, a major project managed by the Canadian Council of Land Surveyors. This agreement sets out principals for reciprocity, one of which is that the jurisdiction to which the applicant wishes to be registered will review and test the applicant for jurisdictional or local knowledge only. The applicant will not be examined on technical surveying matters or on basic survey theory or survey law. Examinations and projects assigned to an applicant from other Canadian jurisdictions will only cover local knowledge.

      B. Applicant from outside Canada

      A Land Surveyor from outside Canada cannot benefit from the Canadian labour mobility agreement. An applicant will be reviewed and assessed depending on their own unique background and jurisdiction. The Board of Examiners will review the application based on the following section of the Act:

        15(3) Any person not resident in Canada who is a member of a surveying or technical organization, or society of standing recognized by the Board may make application to it for registration. Upon the Board certifying in writing to Council that the conditions of subsection (1) have been met, Council may consider the applicant for registration.

    Those from outside Canada should be cognizant of the current requirement for Canadian Citizenship, as per section 15(1)(a) of the Act. Information on becoming a Canadian Citizen can be found on the government of Canada web site at:

© 2010 The Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyors